Tuesday, May 8, 2012

China

I'm finally here!  After years of writing Chinese characters and fawning over a particularly exciting line in my patriarchal blessing--I'm here!  I think the Chinese know it too because I stand out like a sore thumb; I have yet to meet a blond Chinese.  I made sure to write down my first impressions of China when I arrived, so here they are.  Remember i am in Beijing.  These impressions may not apply to the rest of the country:

1) All the trees are in rows.  There are no random tree lines or groves, every tree has its place in line just like the rest of the country.

2) Our neighborhood reminds me a lot of parts of Mexico. While there are notable differences, the general dirtiness is the same.

3) Drivers: crazy.
    Bikers: even more crazy.
    Guys on the three wheelers with metal box tops and crooked rims: absolutely nuts.

Oh China, oh China.  You intrigue me so often.  I thought I knew Chinese: I don't.  Or maybe I did--but these people don't speak that language.  Ugh.  Abe said once when he first got to Brazil that the dogs didn't even understand him.  The language here is so different that I don't even understand the dogs!  The little cute Chinese kids just look at me speaking Chinese as if I was from mars.  I might as well be.  Thats where blond people come from.  One kid pulled out his toy gun and said, "bao, bao."  I was an easy kill and I made him laugh.  I am happy for small successes.  Asking for the bathroom and being shown to the right room is always a plus.  Finding the toilet paper in said bathroom is much more difficult.  It appears the Chinese don't always believe in toilet paper.  When they do it is on a roll in the main lobby of the bathroom next to the sink.  You have to find it before you hit the stalls or...well...you get the idea.

It's time for pictures.


This picture is taken on the a bridge directly outside our hostel. There are about 50 apartment buildings to the right that are completely empty.  They are not under construction. Also, I'm not sure you can see it but there is a white substance constantly falling from the sky like from a cottonwood tree. We call it nuclear waste--lol--but it is a little strange.


    The other picture is of the front of our hostel. The wood ramp is the entrance. There is no door :P



So you think you like Chinese food.  I thought so too.  Panda Express is not Chinese food.  This is a Chinese breakfast: Cucumbers, boiled nuts, tasteless rolls and warm milk.  OH!  and some very delicious tofu noodles in some kind of oil with cilantro.  I actually loved that.  The eggs were boiled and tasted like...eggs.


I'm including this weight-age photo for my dad and brother: sorry guys, 16 ton trunks my not pass over this bridge.  It is downtown Beijing.  I don't think anyone cares about the sign.  Also for Dad, this wood scaffolding is about 5 stories tall--all made of wood and tied together with bailing wire--loosely.  I didn't get a picture but there were about 30 workers near here, male and female who were all taking a nap next to the 8 lane highway.  There were planting trees and I think it must have been break time.  So they all layed down and went to sleep.  hehe.  It made me giggle.

Lastly our brave three wheeled soldiers.  This picture doesn't give them justice because it doesn't show the other traffic.  They weave in and out of traffic that has no laws and even go up three lane, one way streets backwards.  Buses pass within inches doing 30mph or better and they guys don't flinch. I asked a bus driver if he gets nervous.  He said: “不紧张。”  It literally means "not nervous."  When we almost ran over a biciclist and all of us were gasping in the back he said, "什么了?”  It means, "Whats going on?"  Yes, brave souls all.

Finally, I know the Lord is preparing the people in China.  There is a whole nation of people, many humble, who have never had any experience with the truth.  It will be a glorious work indeed.  The field is white, and so big that the thought makes me tired. 

To all those at home, especially my family, I love you.  Keep the faith and learn Chinese.  We're gonna need you someday.

3 comments:

  1. I think China is quite a bit different than Taiwan...except the whole road craziness. I remember driving with Ya-Ju's parents and gripping onto the seat until my knuckles lost all circulation. I am so excited for you David and all of the adventures you will have there. I am so grateful you have made this blog so that we can live it through you. Let me know when you have fried grasshoppers and chicken feet! Ha! Oh, have you seen a McDonalds there? If you find one, let me know what you think! Love you David!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow sounds like an adventure. On family home evening nights, we read Jacobs letter. I think I will put this in as well. It will be a lot of fun. The other day, I told my kids you had left for China. We had to get our "globe" out. (We found a globe blow up ball that had been ripped; I fixed the rip with tape and stuffed it with plastic bags, and walla, we had a globe that I have always wanted.) They wanted to know where you were, where Jacob was, and where we are. It's pretty cool to see on a globe. Keep us posted. We love you tonz and your family. I hope all goes amazingly well for you.
    The Spottens

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What an incredibly awesome experience, David! I'm grateful to read of your experiences, and I'm grateful Lisa set up this blog for you! That's just incredible! We sure love you guys! Want to do all we can to support both of you while you're away. And Elizabeth, what a great idea! I think we'll start reading Jacob's posts in FHE, and also this blog, and also letters from my brother, Bryce, whom is serving in New York City. :) I think that's terrific!:) Thanks for the idea!

    Take care, David. "We got your back" here in good ol' Paulden!:)

    Luv,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete